Thursday, July 21, 2011

West to East


Here's our house in April, even then with all the bare trees we fell in love with the lot first & the house second.  We thought we were SO prepared having already been homeowners once and being so much wiser this time around.  WRONG.  It has been a rollercoaster ride but everything's worked out & we closed on June 24th.   I debated sharing this photo because Will isn't big on people seeing him without a shirt on, but we're all friends, right!?  : )  Anyway, it's the only semi-recent pic I have of the entire front of the house.  We installed the mailbox (& by 'we' I mean 'he') a week after we moved in and I have to say, my sweet perfectionist did a GREAT job!

This pic was taken on the steps outside the french door in the living room.  Our entire yard looks like this right now, covered with hydroseed.  It's such a great back yard with SO many possibilities!  We're pretty confident we will require a landscape designer to figure out the best way to incorporate everything we want. That'll be exciting when we're ready to take on that project!  : )

 One more pic of the house from the back left corner.  The kids love exploring out there with the numerous trails.  There's a 5 mile trail that use to go through our house!  We haven't been out on it yet, Will says it's for 'flat-landers'.  He prefers hikes with serious inclines but maybe we'll get to it this weekend.
  And now, for the more pressing dilemna. . . .  A picture is worth a thousand words, right?  Well, here are my pictures. . .



I think the word we're all hearing is a screeching "HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!"
Ideally Candace Olsen would show up at my door with a limitless budget and her design expertise at my disposal.  But since that's not going to happen I've got to figure something out on my own, or with your help. . . hint hint . . .   : )
My limitations are #1 that the piano has nowhere else to go but where it is & #2 that Will does not want a mirror or flatscreen above the fp.  I also don't think he would be too supportive of painting a different color somewhere but he may be open if it was brilliant.  I have no idea how to do window coverings that won't obstruct the view we love so much and what to do on the walls.  Since they're so high I'm a little lost with the appropriate scale of the decor. . .
The art is NOT staying on the mantel, that belongs in our bedroom & we have to figure some sort of built-in bookshelf on the right of the fp to put a flatscreen etc on. .  But how tall ?  And don't get me started on what to do on the wall up the staircase!!!  So, any ideas?   I know I have been blessed with some crazy creative & gifted friends so I look forward to hearing your thoughts!  Love & truly miss you all!

8 comments:

  1. Yeah!! Thank you for the pictures of my beautiful grandchildren & family! I will be checking this VERY OFTEN! Have a wonderful day & stay out of the heat! Love you loads, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! You have such a great backyard! As far as decorating, I obviously don't have a degree in this, but what I would do above the fireplace is a long vertical piece of art, painting or otherwise. Also window coverings with a great print that stand out to accent the walls would, i think, make it ok not to paint the walls. Would the piano fit where the TV is? Anyhoo.....I will call you! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you find a curtain rod to span across the whole length of the doors? If so, you could hang it a little longer than the length of the doors and hang cute curtains, so it won't obstruct your view...get what i'm sayin? And for the stairs, google "gallery wall" and look at the images it pulls up. There are some good pics of stairs if you look. Anyway, you know me...I come to you for my decor questions and problems, so what good am I?! :) Love & miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The piano is stuck where it is, unfortunately. The reason it fits there is because the top piece fits right above the stairs. . . So it's as we live in this house that is where it will rest. :) The problem with window covering is that there isn't enough room between the outside of the window and the outside of the french door for them not to obstruct the view when pulled to the side, UNLESS we did curtains all the way over the door too. Should that even be a consideration??? Will is voting to just have blinds there but don't you agree that there's something 'homey'about curtains? Like a necessary finishing touch? Tomorrow I'll get a pic of the rest of the great room since, if I do figure out what to do window covering wise I'll have to make sure it works with the windows & patio door in the attached dining room. Anyway, love you both & thanks for visiting our crazy life!!! :) Miss you immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kels, you & I were writing at the same time but how brilliant that we had the same idea! :) Boy do I miss you Oregonians! Thanks for the tip on the website, I need some serious inspiration for that wall! LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful home and yard! Wish we could visit :) Since your ceilings are so tall you could really embellish your windows/door. . . hang the rod a foot or two above the windows and door with a valance and just have the curtains drape on the side, not really as window coverings. My mother in law always does this and it looks amazing. Then go with blinds like honey comb or something to actually cover the windows. They go so small when you pull them up. Also maybe add a cool accent color to the FP wall. Just that one, it’s subtle yet a great place to add a little color. I like Kelsey’s idea about bright colors on the curtains. Looking forward to keeping up with you on your blog! - Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice house....finally :-) glad to see you got settled in ok.I am no help with decorations, I will leave that to the professionals! Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky, thanks for the advice, I honestly hadn't considered drapes that were purely decorative. :) You are welcome here anytime! & Jasmine so happy to hear from you, love you too!

    ReplyDelete